Happy to be a Mom!

I love this thought from President David O. McKay

"She, who can paint a masterpiece or write a book that will influence millions -- deserves the admiration and the plaudits of man. But she who rears a family of beautiful sons and daughters, whose influence will be felt through generations to come, long after paintings have faded, and books have been destroyed she deserves the highest honor that man can give, and the choicest blessings of God. In her high duty and service to humanity, she is co-partner with the Creator himself."


Sunday, July 22, 2012

Spencer Reads

Mommy Moment for a minute: Only read if you want to hear a mom brag about her little boy.

Spencer loves books, he always has as a 14 month old he would bring me books to read. Spencer and I have worked on a reading program since January. He was so excited about it frequently would ask me to work on the program with him. He turned 4 years old May 26 and he is now officially reading.

His attention span goes up and down from reading a few short pages of "Little Critter" and some Dr. Seuss books to helping us read a verse or two from the Book of Mormon during our morning scripture reading.

"Are you my mother is a book he recently read to me, the entire thing, on the train one morning.

I was hesitant to start part 3 of this reading program which includes the hard words like though, rough, eight. Words that you can't sound out and yet we started it a bit, again he picked them up much faster than I anticipated. Once he reads a word once or twice in a book he seems to have it memorized and can read in other books as well.

I think my little boy is a genius. My favorite is to see the pleased look on his face after he has read something. His sweet smile melts my heart. Verbal and reading skills are definitely a wonderful talent he has inherited from his genius daddy! Love my boys.

2 comments:

Elise said...

Spencer is definitely a genius! I still remember when he turned two and had already been talking up a storm. That kid really does have a gift for language and expression :). Does he still do the very expressive faces???

And I would love to know what reading program this is. Would you please email me some details? Also, did I see somewhere that you are coming to Utah? I am here now. If you are here, and have time, would you like to meet up?

Let the Good Times Roll said...

That's amazing! Lance has been reading since 4 as well, but I'm not sure he could read those hard books or verses from the BOM. That is very impressive Spencer! You must have gotten it from your namesake - you know, the one who hasn't read a book um ever! j/k! So so cool! And Na I got your email - maybe you guys meeting us in Australia could be a real possiblity! hmmm let's plan something fun for reals - next february or march! Love you guys talk to you soon!